- Engineers Without Borders – Indianapolis Professionals are currently in the process of raising money and planning our second trip to the outskirts of Bungoma, Kenya. The goal of the project is to establish a sustainable clean water supply for the village of Mayanja-Kibuke to the west of Bungoma. A project assessment trip was completed in January 2011 with members of EWB-Indianapolis Professional Chapter and EWB-Chicago Professional Chapter.Bungoma is located in the high plains of Kenya, approximately 200 miles northwest of Nairobi, the capital of Kenya. It is at an elevation of 4,650 feet above sea level.
The objectives of the initial site assessment trip in January 2011 were:
- Determine community needs for clean water supply and priority projects
- Understand existing water supply sources and quality of water
- Determine potential and feasibility of sustainable clean water sources and how those sources be devloped by meeting on-site with well drilling companies
- Begin establishing a community owned water supply that will be locally constructed and maintained, by meeting with community leaders and women groups
- Establish on-the-ground relationship with other NGO’s such as Aqua-Clara and Heifer International
- Establish on-the-ground relationship with Moi University to provide testing of water supplies and local engineering assistance
Included in the project would be the drilling, casing of the wells, provision of equipment necessary to bring the water to the surface, testing the water quality, and training community members to maintain the system. Water treatment options will be reviewed and possibly added to the project, if needed.